Caffeine and Skincare
If you’re like me, when you hear the word “caffeine”, you automatically think of “coffee”. The two just go together! I LOVE a good cup of coffee, in fact, I enjoy 2 or 3 cups every morning! After dinner, I switch to decaffeinated coffee and enjoy another cup! Recently, I had to give up coffee for 10 days as part of an elimination diet, and not only did my body miss it physically (oh the headaches!), but my mind missed the pleasure of it too! It’s warmth, it’s rich flavor, and the overall relaxing experience. Caffeine has many health benefits when consumed (in moderation), but did you know that Green Tea and Guarana also contain high amounts of caffeine? Read on to learn which plants contain the highest amount of caffeine, why caffeine is so good for your skin, and which skincare products contain an extra boost of caffeine.
Coffee, Green Tea, and Guarana
Coffee, Green Tea, and Guarana all contain caffeine and antioxidants. Since coffee is the most commonly known of the three, we’ll use that as a reference point when comparing amounts of caffeine.
Coffee has about 80-200 mg of caffeine per cup.
Green Tea has about 1/3 the amount of caffeine as coffee with about 35 mg of caffeine per cup.
Guarana has about 4-6 times MORE caffeine than coffee! (BTW, isn’t this a beautiful plant?!)
Why does this matter? Let’s take a look at the benefits of caffeine when applied topically to the skin.
5 Benefits of Caffeine in Skincare Products
Did you know that many skincare products are made with caffeine? Look for ingredients like coffee bean extract, green tea extract, and guarana seed extract. Why are these ingredients so good for your skin? Here are 5 benefits of caffeine in skincare products:
- Caffeine is good for blood flow because it dilates the blood vessels under the skin.
- Caffeine reduces the appearance of cellulite due to increased blood flow.
- Caffeine improves circulation which helps diminish dark circles around the eyes.
- When applied topically, caffeine actually has a calming effect and releases antioxidants. Antioxidants protect the skin against free radicals which are molecules in the environment that damage your skin by clinging to your collagen and weakening elasticity.
- The anti-inflammatory benefits of caffeine may improve hyperpigmentation and reduce the appearance of redness, fine lines, and sunspots.
Now that we know how good caffeine is for our skin, let’s look at a few of my favorite caffeinated skincare products…
3 Top-Selling Skincare Products Containing Caffeine
Click on each product name below for more information.
- Firming Body Butter – This luxurious body butter includes Guaraná with a huge boost of caffeine to help reduce the appearance of cellulite and stretch marks.
- Revival Body Scrub – This antioxidant body scrub exfoliates the skin and helps reduce the appearance of cellulite. Coffee helps break down inflammation and remove toxins while sugar exfoliates the skin.
- Probiotic Eye Gel – This cooling eye gel targets dark circles and puffy tired eyes to plump fine lines and wrinkles. Caffeine and green tea help reduce the appearance of dark circles.
I hope you enjoyed this post, and perhaps it left you craving some coffee! If you found this helpful, leave a comment! Or, Click here to connect with me!
~ Susan Larimer